Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A $15 haircut, but it's worth it...

I get my hair cut about once every week and a half, slight fade/taper but not too short, thinned out on top and leave the bangs longer. Costs me $13 plus tip = 15 bones. I don't just go for the cut though, it's all about the experience.

I've had the same barber since moving here 4 years ago. Multiply that by 4 cuts a month, that's a lot of time spent there. The funny thing is, he always asks me how I want it cut, as if it changed, but that's part of the experience. Also, I'm sure the actual "cut" could take about 5 minutes, but he makes it last 30. We usually talk about the same things, the weather, house, motorcycles, sports...you just know what to expect. Today I sat down in the chair, and mentally told myself the 1st three subjects he would bring up, and I was dead on.

He is a simple guy, nice as they come, and content to cut hair. I should mention his dad cuts hair 2 chairs down, so it runs in the family. He also cuts my dad and brother's hair...so I often ask if my old man has been in lately.

Sure, I could go to great clips and be in and out in 10 minutes, get my head wacked by some no-name fresh out of barber school, or I could head down to the hole in the wall shop in the corner of an old strip mall, with their 1970's wood paneling and sponsored Tball teams/trophies dating back 30 years. The place where if I don't come in for 3 weeks because I'm out of town my barber calls to make sure I'm not mad at him, needs me to come back because he's got bills to pay. Yup, that's where I want to go, just like Cheers, where everybody knows your name...

No comments:

Post a Comment